Last application date: Mar 07, 2017 23:59
Department DI09 - Small Animal Department
Contract Statutary Occupancy rate 100%
Vacancy Type Autonomous academic staff
Full time position as Professor in the rank of assistant professor (tenure track), associate professor or (senior) full professor with a focus on scientific research funded by the Special Research Fund (BOF) in the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at Ghent University (Belgium) announces a vacancy for 1 full time professorial post in the rank of assistant professor (tenure track), associate professor or (senior) full professor, starting October 1, 2017 at the earliest.
The position will be granted in the following academic field: Small Animal Cardiology
The new Academic Staff member will be granted the privilege of focusing primarily on research for a period of 5 years. During that time the teaching load will be limited to no more than 8 ECTS credits per semester on average over a period of 3 years.
Subsequently, the time devoted to education, research and academic services may be altered by the university management. Depending on the specific profile of the selected candidate, the rank of assistant professor (tenure track), associate professor or (senior) full professor will be granted. A position in the rank of assistant professor implies a five-year temporary tenure track position, which will become a tenured position in the rank of associate professor upon achievement of predefined personalized goals.
At Ghent University, the possibility of promotion in the rank of assistant professor and associate professor is conditional upon achievement of predefined personalized goals. A position in the rank of associate professor or (senior) full professor implies a tenured contract, although an initial probationary period of maximum 3 years may be required. Profile Candidates are required to:
- hold a Master degree in veterinary medicine;
- hold a PhD degree with doctoral thesis or a degree recognized as equivalent, and have at least two years of post-doctoral research experience on October 1, 2017;
- have carried out excellent research in the academic field mentioned above, proven by, among other things, recent outstanding publications in national and international peer reviewed journals and/or books;
- have experience in supervising research and/or coaching Ph.D. students;
- possess the necessary didactic skills to realize academic competencies with university students.
- Having positively evaluated experience with procured and/or organized education on an academic level, is recommended.
- Professionalization of education is recommended.
- Having experience in international mobility, amongst others through participation in research programs at research institutions other than the university where the highest degree was obtained, is recommended.
- Being a Diplomate of the ‘European College of Veterinary Internal Medicine - Cardiology’ or equivalent is strongly recommended
Applicants at the entry level of assistant professor or associate professor are required to participate in the basic training for Assistant Professor. Ghent University provides free Dutch and English language courses to professors who are non-native speakers in order to support them in their teaching activities.
Ghent University is an equal opportunities employer. Applications from female researchers are therefore particularly welcome. The university board aims at a gender balance, in which a maximum of three fifths of the academic staff with a PhD degree is of the same gender. As long as this goal is not achieved at the level of the group of scientific disciplines involved, the university board will in principle, for positions within this group, give priority to candidates of the underrepresented gender but when candidates have the same qualifications.
This priority is neither automatic nor unconditional as the personal situation of each applicant will be taken into account.
For further information about this vacancy applicants are welcome to contact the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Prof. dr. Luc Van Ham, firstname.lastname@example.org, +32 9 264 77 00.
How to apply
Applications must be received no later than 07-03-2017 at 23.59 CET at email@example.com, using the specific application form for BOF-ZAP positions.
Proof of competency (e.g., copies of the applicant’s diplomas) should also be sent at this stage, together with an explanation of the main research assignment of the scientific research proposed by the candidate during the BOF-ZAP position.
This “research plan” should comprise at least three and no more than five pages in English, together with an English summary on one page.
Please merge all the documents in one file. Please indicate clearly for which position and which department you are applying and mention the reference number 20170127 cardiology. The candidate will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of the application.
The BOF-ZAP application form is available through the following link: https://www.ugent.be/nl/vacatures/zap/sollicitatieformulieren-zap