Dr Sotiraki is a senior researcher and leads a research group on Parasitology and Parasitic diseases at the Veterinary Research Institute and focuses her R&D activities on epidemiology of parasitic infections, integrated disease management in livestock (including antiparasitic treatments and alternatives solutions) and spread of parasitic zoonoses.
She holds a Degree in Veterinary Medicine and a Doctorate in Veterinary. Parasitology (1991), both from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece and conducted post-doctoral research at the Royal Agricultural & Veterinary University in Denmark between 2002 and 2004. She is also a de facto member of the European College for Veterinary Parasitology and since 2018 she was also elected in the Board of EVPC serving as a Secretary.
Dr Sotiraki has over 20 years R&D and teaching experience in parasitology and health management and he has produced over 95 peer-reviewed scientific publications in well recognised journals with a noteworthy number of citations (h index 25). She has significant managerial experience in research projects. Overall, she has participated in more than 30 (coordinating most of them) major R&D programmes at National and International level, under Structural Funds and FP schemes like the FP6-MCTN “HealthHay”, the FP7-CP “LowInputBreeds” and as a Chair the FA0805 COST Action “CAPARA” and vice Chair of the COST Action “COMBAR”. She had also active participation in a significant number of international scientific conferences and is member at European level in scientific teams producing research policy. Moreover, she has important teaching experience at graduate (by teaching in Veterinary and Agricultural Universities) and post-graduate level (by supervising several Phd students).
1. Kostopoulou D, Gizzarelli M, Ligda P, Foglia Manzillo V, Saratsi K, Montagnaro S, Schunack B, Boegel A, Pollmeier M, Oliva G, Sotiraki S. Mapping the canine vector-borne disease risk in a Mediterranean area. Version 2. Parasit Vectors. 2020 Jun 3;13(1):282. doi: 10.1186/s13071-020-04153-8..
2. Papadopoulos C, Karas PA, Vasileiadis S, Ligda P, Saratsis A, Sotiraki S, Karpouzas DG. Host Species Determines the Composition of the Prokaryotic Microbiota in Phlebotomus Sandflies. Pathogens. 2020 May 29;9(6):E428. doi: 10.3390/pathogens9060428.
3. van der Giessen, J., Deksne, G., Gómez-Morales, M.A., Troell, K., Gomes, J., Sotiraki, S., Rozycki, M., Kucsera, I., Djurković-Djaković, O., Robertson, L.J. Surveillance of foodborne parasitic diseases in Europe in a One Health approach Parasite Epidemiology and Control, 2021, 13, e00205
4. Moraga-Fernández, A., Chaligiannis, Ι., Cabezas-Cruz, A., Papa, A., Sotiraki, S., de la Fuente, J., G. Fernández de Mera, I. Molecular identification of spotted fever group Rickettsia in ticks collected from dogs and small ruminants in Greece (2019) Experimental and Applied Acarology, 78 (3), pp. 421-430.
5. Ligda, P., Claerebout, E., Robertson, L.J., Sotiraki, S. Protocol standardization for the detection of Giardia cysts and Cryptosporidium oocysts in Mediterranean mussels (Mytilus galloprovincialis) (2019) International Journal of Food Microbiology, 298, pp. 31-38.
6. Chaligiannis I, Musella V, Rinaldi L, Cringoli G, de la Fuente J, Papa A, Sotiraki S Species diversity and spatial distribution of ixodid ticks on small ruminants in Greece. Parasitol Res. 2016 Dec;115(12):4673-4680. doi: 10.1007/s00436-016-5259-z.
7. Morgan ER, Aziz NA, Blanchard A, Charlier J, Charvet C, Claerebout E, Geldhof P, Greer AW, Hertzberg H, Hodgkinson J, Höglund J, Hoste H, Kaplan RM, Martínez-Valladares M, Mitchell S, Ploeger HW, Rinaldi L, von Samson-Himmelstjerna G, Sotiraki S, Schnyder M, Skuce P, Bartley D, Kenyon F, Thamsborg SM, Vineer HR, de Waal T, Williams AR, van Wyk JA, Vercruysse J. 100 Questions in Livestock Helminthology Research. Trends Parasitol. 2019 35(1):52-71. doi: 10.1016/j.pt.2018.10.006.
8. Joachim A, Altreuther G, Bangoura B, Charles S, Daugschies A, Hinney B, Lindsay DS, Mundt HC, Ocak M, Sotiraki S. W A A V P guideline for evaluating the efficacy of anticoccidials in mammals (pigs, dogs, cattle, sheep). Vet Parasitol. 2018 Apr 15;253:102-119. doi: 10.1016/j.vetpar.2018.02.029.
9. Bouwknegt M, Devleesschauwer B, Graham H, Robertson LJ, van der Giessen JW; The Euro-Fbp Workshop Participants. Prioritisation of food-borne parasites in Europe, 2016. Euro Surveill. 2018 Mar;23(9). doi: 10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2018.23.9.17-0016
10. Papa A, Kontana A, Tsioka K, Chaligiannis I, Sotiraki S. Novel phleboviruses detected in ticks, Greece. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2016 Feb 24. pii: S1877-959X(16)30031-0. doi: 10.1016/j.ttbdis.2016.02.017.
11. Devleesschauwer B, Allepuz A, Dermauw V, Johansen MV, Laranjo-González M, Smit GS, Sotiraki S, Trevisan C, Wardrop NA, Dorny P, Gabriël S. Taenia solium in Europe: Still endemic? Acta Trop. 2015 Aug 12. pii: S0001-706X(15)30083-8. doi: 10.1016/j.actatropica.2015.08.006.
12. Chaligiannis I, Maillard S, Boubaker G, Spiliotis M, Saratsis A, Gottstein B, Sotiraki S. Echinococcus granulosus infection dynamics in livestock of Greece. Acta Trop. 2015 Oct;150:64-70. doi: 10.1016/j.actatropica.2015.06.021.
13. Ready, P.D., Wardhana, A.H., Adams, Z.J.O., Sotiraki, S., Hall, M.J.R.Improved method for screening mitochondrial cytochrome b markers to identify regional populations of the Old World screwworm fly and other myiasis agents (2014) Acta Tropica, . Article in Press
14. Papa, A., Chaligiannis, I., Kontana, N., Sourba, T., Tsioka, K., Tsatsaris, A., Sotiraki, S. A novel AP92-like Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus strain, Greece (2014) Ticks and Tick-borne Diseases, 5 (5), pp. 590-593.
15. Papa, A., Chaligiannis, I., Xanthopoulou, K., Papaioakim, M., Papanastasiou, S., Sotiraki, S. Ticks parasitizing humans in Greece (2011) Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, 11 (5), pp. 539-542.