Dr Sotiraki is a senior researcher and leads a research group on Parasitology and Parasitic diseases at the Veterinary Research Institute and focuses her R&D activities on epidemiology of parasitic infections, integrated disease management (including antiparasitic treatments and alternatives solutions) and spread of parasitic zoonoses.
She holds a Degree in Veterinary Medicine and a Doctorate in Veterinary. Parasitology (1991), both from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece and conducted post-doctoral research at the Royal Agricultural & Veterinary University in Denmark between 2002 and 2004. She is also a de facto member of the European College for Veterinary Parasitology.
Dr Sotiraki has over 15 years R&D and teaching experience in parasitology and health management and he has produced over fifty peer-reviewed scientific publications in well recognised journals with a noteworthy number of citations. She has significant managerial experience in research projects. Overall, she has participated in more than 20 (coordinating most of them) major R&D programmes at National and International level, under Structural Funds and FP schemes like the FP6-MCTN “HealthHay”, the FP7-CP “LowInputBreeds” and as a Chair the FA0805 COST Action “CAPARA”. She had also active participation in a significant number of international scientific conferences and is member at European level in scientific teams producing research policy. Moreover, she has important teaching experience at graduate (by teaching in Veterinary and Agricultural Universities) and post-graduate level (by supervising several Phd students).
1. Papa A, Kontana A, Tsioka K, Chaligiannis I, Sotiraki S. Novel phleboviruses detected in ticks, Greece. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2016 Feb 24. pii: S1877-959X(16)30031-0. doi: 10.1016/j.ttbdis.2016.02.017.
2. Saratsis A, Voutzourakis N, Theodosiou T, Stefanakis A, Sotiraki S. The effect of sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia) and carob pods (Ceratonia siliqua) feeding regimes on the control of lamb coccidiosis. Parasitol Res. 2016 Feb 26.
3. Srednicka-Tober, D., Barański, M., Seal, C., Sanderson, R., Benbrook, C., Steinshamn, H., Gromadzka-Ostrowska, J., Rembiałkowska, E., Skwarło-Sońta, K., Eyre, M., Cozzi, G., Krogh Larsen, M., Jordon, T., Niggli, U., Sakowski, T., Calder, P.C., Burdge, G.C., Sotiraki, S., Stefanakis, A., Yolcu, H., Stergiadis, S., Chatzidimitriou, E., Butler, G., Stewart, G., Leifert, C. Composition differences between organic and conventional meat: A systematic literature review and meta-analysis (2016) British Journal of Nutrition, 115 (6), pp. 994-1011.
4. Srednicka-Tober, D., Barański, M., Seal, C.J., Sanderson, R., Benbrook, C., Steinshamn, H., Gromadzka-Ostrowska, J., Rembiałkowska, E., Skwarło-Sońta, K., Eyre, M., Cozzi, G., Larsen, M.K., Jordon, T., Niggli, U., Sakowski, T., Calder, P.C., Burdge, G.C., Sotiraki, S., Stefanakis, A., Stergiadis, S., Yolcu, H., Chatzidimitriou, E., Butler, G., Stewart, G., Leifert, C. Higher PUFA and n-3 PUFA, conjugated linoleic acid, α-tocopherol and iron, but lower iodine and selenium concentrations in organic milk: A systematic literature review and meta- and redundancy analyses (2016) British Journal of Nutrition, 115 (6), pp. 1043-1060
5. Devleesschauwer B, Allepuz A, Dermauw V, Johansen MV, Laranjo-González M, Smit GS, Sotiraki S, Trevisan C, Wardrop NA, Dorny P, Gabriël S. Taenia solium in Europe: Still endemic? Acta Trop. 2015 Aug 12. pii: S0001-706X(15)30083-8. doi: 10.1016/j.actatropica.2015.08.006.
6. Hoste H, Torres-Acosta JF, Sandoval-Castro CA, Mueller-Harvey I, Sotiraki S, Louvandini H, Thamsborg SM, Terrill TH.Tannin containing legumes as a model for nutraceuticals against digestive parasites in livestock.Vet Parasitol. 2015 Aug 15, 212, (1-2), 5-17
7. Chaligiannis I, Maillard S, Boubaker G, Spiliotis M, Saratsis A, Gottstein B, Sotiraki S. Echinococcus granulosus infection dynamics in livestock of Greece. Acta Trop. 2015 Oct;150:64-70. doi: 10.1016/j.actatropica.2015.06.021.
8. Kostopoulou D, Casaert S, Tzanidakis N, van Doorn D, Demeler J, von Samson-Himmelstjerna G, Saratsis A, Voutzourakis N, Ehsan A, Doornaert T, Looijen M, De Wilde N, Sotiraki S, Claerebout E, Geurden T. The occurrence and genetic characterization of Cryptosporidium and Giardia species in foals in Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany and Greece. Vet Parasitol. 2015 Jul 30; 211 (3-4), 170-174
9. Tzanidakis N, Sotiraki S, Claerebout E, Ehsan A, Voutzourakis N, Kostopoulou D, Stijn C, Vercruysse J, Geurden T.Occurrence and molecular characterization of Giardia duodenalis and Cryptosporidium spp. in sheep and goats reared under dairy husbandry systems in Greece. Parasite. 2014;21:45. doi: 10.1051/parasite/2014048. Epub 2014 Sep 5.
10. Ready, P.D., Wardhana, A.H., Adams, Z.J.O., Sotiraki, S., Hall, M.J.R.Improved method for screening mitochondrial cytochrome b markers to identify regional populations of the Old World screwworm fly and other myiasis agents (2014) Acta Tropica, . Article in Press
11. Papa, A., Chaligiannis, I., Kontana, N., Sourba, T., Tsioka, K., Tsatsaris, A., Sotiraki, S. A novel AP92-like Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus strain, Greece (2014) Ticks and Tick-borne Diseases, 5 (5), pp. 590-593.
12. Tzanidakis, N., Maksimov, P., Conraths, F.J., Kiossis, E., Brozos, C., Sotiraki, S., Schares, G. Toxoplasma gondii in sheep and goats: Seroprevalence and potential risk factors under dairy husbandry practices (2012) Veterinary Parasitology, 190 (3-4), pp. 340-348.
13. Sotiraki, S., Hall, M.J.R. A review of comparative aspects of myiasis in goats and sheep in Europe (2012) Small Ruminant Research, 103 (1), pp. 75-83.
14. Xanthopoulou, K., Anagnostou, V., Ivovic, V., Djurkovic, O., Rogozi, E., Sotiraki, S., Papa, A. Distribution of sandflies (Diptera, Psychodidae) in two Ionian Islands and Northern Greece (2011) Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, 11 (12), pp. 1591-1594.
15. Papa, A., Chaligiannis, I., Xanthopoulou, K., Papaioakim, M., Papanastasiou, S., Sotiraki, S. Ticks parasitizing humans in Greece (2011) Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, 11 (5), pp. 539-542.
16. Sotiraki, S., Farkas, R., Hall, M.J.R. Fleshflies in the flesh: Epidemiology, population genetics and control of outbreaks of traumatic myiasis in the Mediterranean Basin (2010) Veterinary Parasitology, 174 (1-2), pp. 12-18.