Dear EBVS Board members,
The EBVS Executive Committee has decided to organize a post-AGM Workshop for 2017, that will deal with the complex issue of developing multiple choice questions for college diplomate examinations.
Evaluation by means of multiple-choice questions offer many opportunities. The tests can be offered simultaneously to large groups of students and are able to cover a wide variety of contents and skills. Moreover, they can be corrected simply and quickly.
Many myths surround the merits and fallbacks of multiple-choice exams and the development of a quality multiple-choice examination is not to be taken for granted.
In the proposed workshop, the following questions will be addressed:
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of multiple-choice examinations?
- How do you make sure that your multiple-choice questions are a fair reflection of the content of your course?
- How can you design multiple- choice questions that probe more than mere knowledge reproduction?
- What are the rules of thumb in formulating clear and effective multiple-choice questions?
- How can you prevent students who do not understand the content of the question from being guided to the correct answers by clues in the format?
- Is guess correction always the best way to deal with random guessing?
- How can you check the quality of the questions you prepared?
The workshop will be chaired by Elien Sabbe from the Educational Quality Assurance Office of Ghent University, Belgium.
It will be held on Friday 21 April 2017 from 13.30 to 17.00, immediately following the EBVS AGM, at the same location (International Auditorium, Trade Union House, Koning Albert II- laan, No. 5, 1210 Brussels).
The workshop will likely be most beneficial for College Examination Committee Chairpersons or examiners. As the number of participants is limited to 20, only one colleague per college may participate and places will be given on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Please contact EBVS Secretariat Aretì Kesisoglou at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and bookings.
Laura Kramer, EBVS Secretary