We are now looking to recruit a new exotic Veterinary Surgeon. This role is solely focused on exotics and is a full time position working 42.50 hours per week (but part-time applicants may also fit the needs well). You will take part in our exotics weekend rota, when you work the weekend, you will have two lieu days the week after, on a rotation.
The Exotic Pets and Zoological Medicine department at Pride Veterinary Centre is currently comprised of one clinician [a double diplomate (ECZM-SM and ABVP-ECM)], an intern (1 year role) and a specialty nurse.
Our current case load for Exotic Pets and Zoological Medicine varies between 20 and 25 new cases a week, between 1st Opinion, 2nd Opinion and Referral Cases. We are seeing approximately 50% small mammals, 25% reptiles, 20% avian, and 5% zoological and wildlife species. The service works alongside various disciplines: internal medicine, surgery, neurology, anaesthesia, ophthalmology, dermatology, imaging, oncology and cardiology.
We are the largest provider of veterinary care in the East Midlands. The hospital is based at Pride Park in Derby and is home to a busy first opinion practice, a multidisciplinary referral service and an out-of-hours service.
At Pride Veterinary Centre you will spend your day between three main areas. In the Consulting Room you will be dealing directly with clients and interacting with the other vet teams. In Wards, you will manage the care of inpatients, communicating with owners, generating plans for diagnosis and treatment, and carrying out procedures on your cases. In Prep and Theatre, you will carry out procedures such as dentals and imaging, while in theatre you perform a variety of surgical operations.
There are endless opportunities for you to expand your knowledge and improve your skills by working closely with an Exotic double diplomate (ECZM-SM and ABVP-ECM). You will be able to work efficiently, understanding the time constraints and fast pace of a busy private small animal hospital and with other members of the Referral Team.
· Experienced in exotic animal work (ideally a minimum of 2 years exotic/mix animal practice)
· Good communication skills, punctuality, ability to work and think clearly under pressure, good interpersonal and enthusiasm for exotic pets and zoological medicine
· Be able to work efficiently, understanding the time constraints and fast pace of a busy private small animal hospital
· Ability to make decisions, prioritise and delegate.
· Commitment to continuous development
· Be a member of the RCVS
· Good English language both verbal and written
Benefits (pro rata)
• 5 weeks paid holiday not including bank holidays
• 5 days paid CPD leave
• £1250 CPD Allowance per annum
• Private Medical Insurance
• VDS Membership paid
• BVA Membership paid
• Service based holiday entitlement increases
• Enhanced maternity, adoption, shared parental leave and surrogacy pay
• Enhanced paternity pay
• Birthday leave
• Discounted veterinary fees
• My Benefits - various discounts including retail & gym memberships
• Cycle to Work scheme
• CPD/training support
• Paid bereavement leave
• Company sick pay
• Employee opinion survey
• Free uniform in a number of roles
• Annual pay reviews
• Social events
• Sponsorship for overseas employees
• Academy & Leadership courses
• Focus on employee wellbeing
• Relocation packages
• Career progression opportunities
• Free flu jabs
As a BAME and LGBT+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long term health conditions, and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
If this position is of interest to you then please get in touch.
To apply, please email your CV to Rebecca at
or call 07970049413 for more information.