About the job
Interested in joining a cause-driven, customer focused company dedicated to positively impacting the health of animals, people and the planet? Search our job listings below. Position Description The Senior Director, Discovery Parasiticides will be a scientific leader in the fields of target identification, screening and models to generate small/large molecule candidates as parasiticides. He/She will play a central role in defining the Discovery strategy for Parasiticides including the necessary evolution following customers preferences and technology breakthroughs. This individual will lead the early phase parasitology research (Discovery) team in anthelmintic/acaricide/insecticide/ anti-protozoal areas. He/She will collaborate with the External Innovation team to balance internal & external opportunities, with the final objective to bring quality projects to Exploratory Development and to the market. Functions, Duties, Task
· Responsible to create and progress an innovative parasitology pipeline for Pet Health and Farm Animals categories, as well as defining the strategy and evolution of Discovery Parasiticides, e.g. target identification, pipeline of assays/tests, target-based vs. phenotypic, etc.
· Lead 3 Discovery parasitology units and ensure a good/effective collaboration with Bayer Crop Science (together with Discovery Chemistry).
· Works closely with the Executive Director, Global Discovery Research, and the other Senior Directors in Discovery Research (and Exploratory Development) to shape the Discovery portfolio, to ensure close alignment with business expectations, and to focus on advancing the best opportunities with the highest value indications.
· Serves as a key member of Discovery Lead team, Discovery CFOT, and RMLT to ensure good decision-making and foster highly effective collaboration across organizational boundaries to ensure best decisions and outcomes for Elanco.
· Helps champion the chase and advancement of the strongest opportunities, without a bias to internal versus external or technology type.
· Effective leader with strong focus on people development and alignment of team members to passions, leveraging strengths. Rigorous management of Discovery Parasitology budget.
· Supports and works to strengthen the environment of psychological safety present in RED, supporting and leading by example rigorous debate, challenge, while showing respect and trust.
· Build/promote a culture of collaborative knowledge sharing and problem solving.
Minimum Qualification (education, Experience And/or Training, Required Certifications)
· PhD and/or D.V.M degree in Parasitology with >10y experience in Industry incl. >4y of direct leadership of technical teams.
· Strong Innovation/Creativity mindset with drive to bring competitive products to the market.
· Expert knowledge in Parasitology incl. in-vitro assays, rodent models, target animal studies.
· Strong understanding of genomics/proteomics.
· Effective oral and written communications skills.
· High personal ethical, quality, and safety standards.
· Exceptional problem solving, strategic, and decision-making skills.
· Must be able to work productively in an interdisciplinary team environment.
· Basic understanding of the pharmaceutical, biopharma and vaccine regulatory environment.
· Fiscal responsibility over allocated project, program, capital spend.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status
Patrick Meeus, DVM, PhD, DACVM
Senior Research Fellow
Elanco Animal Health
Mattenstrasse 24A, 4058 Basel, SWITZERLAND